Friday, November 26, 2010

Fish anyone??

Salaam Blogger world!

So, for the past few weeks I have had ZERO energy.  I am tired, moody and my body feels as though I have been hit by a truck!  I blamed it initially on jet lag but we came back on the 18th of the month so I cant use that crutch anymore.  Maybe I am just lazy..haha

What to say about today?  Hmmmm.  Oh... some of the "cuisine" here in the middle east grosses me out!  The "bowl of brains" is hands down the most disgusting thing I have encountered here.  It was fed to me without my knowing.  Lets just say that when I hear," Just try it, close your eyes"  I run the other way!!  Another issue for me is fish.  Ok, lets just say that I am not the worlds biggest fish eater.  If it comes in a box and says Mrs. Paul's or Vandekemps, I will eat it.  Although here in the Middle East on this Island I call home, there is no such thing.  Fish is a big part of their diet here. 

I go to my husbands family home today after Juma prayer only to find about 75 large humor and some other little type fish, on the menu for lunch.  YUCK!  Fish....ok....but this???  Still fully intact.  Eyes, teeth, scales insides and tail.....barf, barf, triple barf!!  Thank god my husband made them aware that I will run for the hills if I am made to eat that...So my wonderfull mother in law made me some of her fabulous kufta and rice...yummmy!

So, we go to eat and I am oblivious to the scene of utter carnage that awaits me.  If you don't know, in the Arab world we eat on the floor.  Not directly, but on a rug with a plastic "table cloth" laid out.  (You will know why in a moment)  Silver wear is not often used.  They prefer to eat with their hands.  My husband says the food tastes better.  I for one will always request a gafsha(spoon).  LOOL

Within moments they dig into the fish.  Little kids as young as 4 are also in on the act.  Its really something to see.  They waste NO PART OF MEAT ON THIS FISH...MASHALLAH!!  What is left is the head and empty bony body.  And then there is me.....me and my meatballs, rice and SPOON!!!  haha

It really has been interesting learning about new cultures and ways of doing things.  Its nice to see that his family wastes NO food.  Nothing gets thrown out or goes to waste.

So, back to the plastic "table cloth".  All the fish carcass and other scraps get put on the floor on our "table".  Plates get scraped off on to this as well.  When we are finished, the maid comes in and just folds our "table" up and in the garbage it goes!  Love it!  Easy clean up.

Anyways, that was my day.  No drama and laid back.  Came home and played battleship with my husband and napped with him and my kitty Sassy......It's been a good day!!  Alhamdulliah!!

2 comments:

  1. See my blog-post from Nov. 2009- Lutefisk and Meatballs or- You Think Southern Cooking is Strange? I understand your trepidation completely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww...Lutefisk...Nasty! Being a Norwegian myself, I can say that I did have to try that nasy stuff once. Forced upon me by my grandmother....Needless to say that I never at it again. Meatballs on the other hand I LOVE...A good meatball with some lefsee....mmmmmm goood!!

    ReplyDelete

Life is too short to be hateful. Just because you disagree with something, doesn't make it wrong. I welcome your comments but please refrain from being hateful. :)